Camara DaCosta Johnson, otherwise known as Yaya DaCosta, was the runner-up in Cycle 3 of ANTM in 2004.
DaCosta was born in New York City. DaCosta's mother is a Montessori teacher. Her father is a professor of Sociology. She graduated from Brown University, majoring in International Relations and African Studies.
Yaya was known for putting the girls and the judges off because of her arrogance. However, she did do the best in most of the challenges, winning 5 out of 8.
In episode eight, she was ridiculed for the judging panel challenge, calling one of the hats she didn't wear cheap, insulting the designer.
In episode 9, she infamously spit out the food for the mock commercial judging panel challenge, causing her to be in the bottom two with Nicole, but she was saved.
Yaya lost to Eva in the finale.
After Top Model, DaCosta went on to a successful career. She was signed to Models 1 London and Ford Models.
She has modeled for Target, Olay, CharmaineLouise, DJA Clothing Company, Venus Clothing, Isaac Mizrahi, Kohl's, Seven Magazine, Interview Magazine, Essence Magazine, Jewel Magazine, Elle Girl Presents Dare To Be You: Wal-Mart Meets America's Next Top Model, Marc Bouwer Fall 2005, Seda, Garnier Fructis, Lincoln Townhouse, Radioshack, Dr. Scholl's and Sephora.
DaCosta has been acting and dancing all of her life and attended the acclaimed Manhattan East Jr. High School in NYC where she met her acting teacher. In 2005, she had a small role in an episode of "Eve" called Prom Night. Since then she has acted in several major motion pictures; "Take the Lead", "Honeydripper", "The Shanghai Hotel", "The Messenger" and "The Kids Are All Right". She also acted in a TV movie called "Racing for Time" which received critical acclaim. In 2007, she was cast on "All My Children" as Cassandra Foster, the daughter of Angie Hubbard. She broke away from daytime television in 2008 to rave reviews Off-Broadway in "First Breeze of Summer" with Leslie Uggams. In Fall 2009, she broke into Primetime on the hit show, "Ugly Betty" playing the new re-cast of "Nico", daughter to Vanessa Williams' "Whilemina" and received wide acclaim for her dramatic range and comedic timing.
DaCosta played the role of Whitney Houston in the Lifetime original biopic movie, "Whitney" in 2015.
- All of Yaya first call-outs were from the very first and last judgings of Cycle 3.
- Yaya is the first girl to win 5 challenges in a row.
- (About someone writing in Cassie's brownies) "Someone had the audicity to mutilate her precious brownies."
- (When asked what her shirt means) "It's "respeito." In Portuguese, it means "respect." There's a big lack of it in the house, so I felt the need to wear it today. Cassie's brownies were fingered. I just think it's immature and disrespectful, and that's exact-"
- "There's one person eliminated every single time. And that one person should not be me. And if it is, I need to have a talk with the judges."
- "Sorry Jessie, one second...... I CAN'T HEAR! I'M ON THE PHONE!!!!!"
- Yaya's Twitter
|Cycle 3 Contestants|
Amanda Swafford • Ann Markley • Cassie Grisham • Eva Pigford • Jennipher Frost • Julie Titus • Kelle Jacob • Kristi Grommet • Leah Darrow • Magdalena Rivas • Nicole Borud • Norelle Van Herk • Toccara Jones • Yaya DaCosta