|About • Cycles • Judges • Contestants • Galleries • Aid Wiki|
|Born:||June 10, 1982|
|Home:||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Debut:||The Girl Who Wants It Bad|
|Last:||The Girl Becomes America's Next Top Model|
A native of Albuquerque, New Mexico, Sewell obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish and a Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of New Mexico. She also worked as a research assistant in an evolutionary biology lab.
Elyse was known on the show as the witty pre-med student. She was also known for being an open atheist, which made the Christian girls uncomfortable, namely Robin. She also had a general negative attitude in most of the challenges, originally thinking they were more intelligence based.
In episode two, Robin showed her a bible verse saying "foolish is the man who says there is no God" which Elyse found offensive. after failing the first runway challenge, she went on an angry rant in confessional, in which she complained about Adrianne, Robin, Giselle, Katie, and even Ms. Jay.
In episode five, there were growing rumors among the girls about her having an eating disorder, because she was very thin, and was going to the bathroom a lot. She addressed the rumors and denied everything. She was put in the bottom two that week, and saved over Giselle.
She was also known for being best friends with Adrianne and their rivalry with Robin and Shannon. When the girls are in Paris, she got upset when Robin didn't compromise how they spend their last day, with the former two wanting to see Jim Morrison's grave while the latter two wanted to go shopping.
She was eliminated in episode nine after explaining to Tyra that modeling comes from genetics and science instead of passion, to which Tyra disagreed.
The most successful contestant to come out of cycle one, Elyse has worked in Milan, Tokyo, New York, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Seoul, Osaka, Kuala Lumpur and Santiago de Chile. She has done many editorial, runway, catalogue and commercial works.
She has modeled for Chanel, Chow Sang Sang Jewellery, Cyber Color Contacts, Flair by Joc, i.S.O., Motorola, Vidal Sassoon, Stuff, TV Guide, T+T Clothing, Azona, Dao, Darquer, DTC Diamonds, Giordano, iMaroon, Mae Von, Paule de and Staccato. She graced the covers of Harper's Bazaar, Sisters and Women's Wear Daily. She also did a commercial for Sony.
In 2004, she started a LiveJournal blog about her experiences of modeling overseas. She published a book called Beauty and The Biz: The International Adventures of America's Third-to-Next Top Model, in Hong Kong in 2006 based in part on her (now abandoned) blog. She appeared at multiple book signings across Hong Kong. Her other writing credits include a satirical piece for Bust Magazine on how to be a reality TV star, as well as posts for the website Lemondrop.
She dated Martin Crandall of The Shins until January 2008, when he allegedly assaulted her in a Sacramento hotel. Both Crandall and Sewell were charged with felony domestic assault, though their cases were later dismissed. Previously, Elyse told the Singapore Straits Times in an interview that she had dumped her boyfriend because he cheated on her while she was working in Japan.
In a June 5, 2009 blog entry, she wrote that she was leaving Hong Kong and returning to her hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Her last test shots were taken in late 2015, and she has no known modern social media.
Elyse was named one of Wired Magazine's 2005's 10 Sexiest Geeks.
Her confessional rant earned her sixteenth place on "E!'s Most Outrageous TV Moments". It was ranked number 4 on MsMojo's YouTube video "Top 10 Outrageous America's Next Top Model Moments". She was an honorable mention on their video "Top 10 Shocking Eliminations on America's Next Top Model".
- Elyse said that Janice Dickinson would wink at her every judging panel, ensuring she was safe. In the final three judging, she shook her head in Elyse's direction.
- Adrianne stated that she and Elyse were no longer friends. Adrianne told Elyse about her plans to sue Wilhelmina Models, then Elyse went to the agency to rat on Adrianne. Elyse also posted Adrianne's earnings on "The Surreal Life" on her Livejournal.
- Elyse was the first contestant from New Mexico.
- "I really just want to get away from everybody right now. The other girls are just...at this high volume, high energy all the time. I'm so tempted to just sit in here and be away from all the noise! (Robin, Ebony, and Shannon fighting in the background) Alright, I'm gonna stay in here with the door locked for just a couple more minutes."
- "Frankly, this dress is hideous and I am so glad I don't own it."
- "Robin, of course, qualifies every statement with, 'I'm not saying that you're going to Hell, but you're going to Hell'."
- "...But I don't want to be model. I don't- I can't. It is so—augh! It's so irrelevant. Eliminate me. Do it!"
- "Adrianne, stop interrupting me. Stop quoting Jay and Silent Bob right next to my ear. I've had enough of you. I don't want to hear the same stories over and over. Robin, how f*cking dare you show me that "Foolish is the atheist" Bible verse this morning, and ask me "What do I think of it?" What the f*ck am I supposed to think of it? And you know what I think of you? Foolish is the woman who believes that goddamn tripe! Giselle, you fucking worthless c*nt. You're so wasteful, bitchy, stupid—you're worthless. Your parents must be ashamed of you. J, you offended me today. I know that medical school is hard work. How could I possibly not be aware of that?! And secondly, how dare you imply that I'm uppity because I want to be a life saver and you don't? It takes a f*cking ass to cover every seat, you sh*t slice! What else? Katie, I don't believe a word that comes out of your mouth. You're the most insincere person I've ever met. Goddamn it. Let me f*cking die. You bitches."
- "I completely didn't understand Robin's assertion that her haircut made her look like a prostitute, but then again, I'm not really familiar with...prostitute trends."
- "I'm not willing to alienate Giselle, because she's the only one in Tokyo with a straightening iron."
- "Giselle coined the term 'heat wave' as a euphemism for farts, which I think thus far her contribution to society"
- "Shannon did tell me that Jesus told her that I would be staying here, so that makes me feel pretty... comfortable."
- "Tyra told me that I was arrogant and condescending in my speech and in my interactions with others... and I think she was right."
|Cycle 1 Contestants|