|About • Cycles • Judges • Contestants • Galleries • Aid Wiki|
|Country of origin:||United States|
|Number of episodes:||9|
|Premiere:||May 20, 2003|
|Finale:||July 15, 2003|
Kimora Lee Simmons
|Number of contestants:||10|
Cycle 1 of America's Next Top Model premiered on May 20, 2003 on UPN and concluded on July 15, 2003. The judging panel featured Tyra Banks as host, with Janice Dicksinson, Kimora Lee Simmons and Beau Quillian as main judges.
- A modeling contract with Wilhelmina Models
- A spread in Marie Claire magazine
- A contract with Revlon cosmetics
The ages stated are from the start of the contest.
|Adrianne Curry||20||Joliet, Illinois||N/A||1|
|Shannon Stewart||18||Franklin, Ohio||Episode 9||2|
|Elyse Sewell||20||Albuquerque, New Mexico||Episode 9||3|
|Robin Manning||26||Memphis, Tennessee||Episode 7||4|
|Kesse Wallace||21||North Little Rock, Arkansas||Episode 6||5|
|Giselle Samson||18||Corona, California||Episode 5||6|
|Ebony Haith||24||Bronx, New York||Episode 4||7|
|Nicole Panattoni||22||Murrieta, California||Episode 3||8|
|Katie Cleary||21||Glenview, Illinois||Episode 2||9|
|Tessa Carlson||19||Chicago, Illinois||Episode 1||10|
|Cycle||Episodes||Originally Aired (U.S. dates)|
|Cycle Premiere||Cycle Finale|
|1||9||May 27, 2003||July 8, 2003|
Cycle 1: 2003
|Title||Original Air Date|
|1||1||"The Girl Who Wants It Bad"||May 20, 2003|
|Living together in a New York penthouse, 10 women compete for a modeling contract and other prizes.|
|2||2||"The Girl Is Here to Win, Not Make Friends"||May 27, 2003|
|The nine finalists learn how to sashay down a runway, then pose for the cover of a men's magazine|
|3||3||"The Girl Gets Rushed to the Emergency Room"||June 3, 2003|
|Eight finalists undergo radical transformations; participants share the spotlight with snakes during a photography shoot; a finalist ends up in the hospital.|
|4||4||"The Girl Who Drives Everyone Crazy"||June 10, 2003|
|A visit from a contestant's lesbian lover divides the loft, and a formerly confident participant loses focus.|
|5||5||"The Girl Who Everyone Thinks Is Killing Herself"||June 17, 2003|
|A model breaks down after being confronted about her eating habits; competitors undergo publicity training; personal revelations; loved ones visit during a photo-shoot competition|
|6||6||"The Girl Deals With a Pervert"||June 24, 2003|
|A contestant struggles to find a balance between her religious beliefs and her sexuality; the models navigate Paris during a challenge; one woman enlists the help of a stranger to get ahead.|
|7||7||"The Girls Who Get Really Naked"||July 1, 2003|
|Some models embrace the opportunity to pose nude during a photography shoot, while others are driven to tears.|
|8||8||"How the Girls Got Here"||July 8, 2003|
|Clips from the series include audition tapes, exit interviews, quarrels and confessions.|
|9||9||"The Girl Becomes America's Next Top Model"||July 8, 2003|
|The winner survives the final cut and is awarded a modeling and management contract.|
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant won the competition
- In Episode 1, 20 semi-finalists were reduced to 8 finalists. Later, two more contestants (Giselle and Tessa) were scouted and introduced to the cast.
- Episode 8 was the recap episode.
- This is the only cycle of ANTM to have ten girls, making it the smallest cast to date.
- The international destination for the cycle was Paris, France. This is the first European international destination.
- This was the only cycle where the girls go back to America instead of staying overseas until the finale.
- This is the first cycle to have a girl not participate in the photoshoot of the week. This is the only cycle where more than one girl refuses to participate.
- the top three judging panel was the only panel in ANTM history were elimination was based on no photo or commercial, but just portfolio.
- All of the girls in this cast were at least 5'9 in height.
- According to Tyra in an interview, the judging room for this cycle was actually a hotel room with the beds taken out. Also, her own underwear was used as wardrobe for the girls in the group promotional photo. Giselle and Tessa still weren't revealed to the other eight girls at this point, and instead were photoshopped in.
After winning the show, winner Adrianne Curry spoke out against the show and stated that she did not receive her contract with Revlon cosmetics. In 2017, she published a blog article titled "The truth about Top Model" and she stated that when she met with Revlon, they informed her that they never planned on using the winner for any ads, regardless of who she was.
In the same article, Curry also mentioned that no agencies were willing to sign on for the first cycle and that due to this Wilhelmia were told that they would be used for future cycles as well. However, this was not the case as they were replaced with IMG Models the following cycle.
To view the gallery for Cycle 1, click here.
Cycle 1 • Cycle 2 • Cycle 3 • Cycle 4 • Cycle 5 • Cycle 6 • Cycle 7 • Cycle 8 • Cycle 9 • Cycle 10 • Cycle 11 • Cycle 12 • Cycle 13 • Cycle 14 • Cycle 15 • Cycle 16 • Cycle 17 • Cycle 18 • Cycle 19 • Cycle 20 • Cycle 21 • Cycle 22 • Cycle 23 • Cycle 24